THE ATTITUDE OF PARENTS TOWARDS THE EDUCATION OF THEIR FEMALE CHILDREN
The project work investigated the attitude of parent in Ilawe Local Government Area in Ekiti State towards the education of their female children. Data were gathered from questionnaire and oral interview. A total number of six secondary schools were used for the data collection.
A total number of one hundred (100) questionnaire were administered to principals and teachers of the various schools used.
The high points of the findings are as follows:
- Educating women is viewed by many parent as a waste.
- Women’s place is seen as being in the kitchen cooking for her family
- Early marriage has negative effect on woman Education.
- There is preference for male Education than that of the female. Based on the findings, the researcher made the following conclusion.
- Women when given the opportunity will perform very well like their male counterpart.
In the light of the above conclusion, the research made the following recommendations.
- There should be no prefer rented treatment between the male and female sex by parents when it come to education.
- Government should review the educational system in its totality and shape it to meet the needs of the women and community through adult education programmes.
- Government should make effort to see that scholarship and free education are provided for females
- Parent should not consider resources spent on female education to be a waste.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Table of Contents
Statement of Problems
Purpose of the study
Scope and Limitation of the study
Significance of study
Limitation of the study
Definition of Operational terms and Abbreviation
Instrument for Data Collection
Procedure for Data Collection
Presentation and Analysis of Data
Discussion and Recommendation
In contemporary Nigeria education is looked upon as long term investment by the state for its continue existence preservation of its cultural values and the improvement of its society .
Abdukareem(2009)define education as the acquisition of appropriate knowledge, attitudes, ability skills competent and Islamic virtues so that the recipient and have a balance growth and development of this total personality to live a successful life.
Fafuwa A.A (1974) define education as the aggregate of all the process of which a child or young adult develops the abilities, attitudes and other forms of behaviour of positive values to the society which he lives.
Education should be seen as a process of not only impacting specific skills and knowledge but also inducing the child into norms and values of the culture.
Due to the general economics situation in Nigeria today, it can be asserted without fear of contradiction that illiteracy and ignorance are obstacles towards parents educating their girls or daughter. However, some parents instead of sending their daughters to school will prefer to send them to learn trade or get them married at tender ages. The effects of this are too obvious to need elaboration.
Much has been said about education: yet much will still be said about education especially as it concerns women education.
The education of women, until recently has not received favourable consideration form most culture in Nigeria. This is because of the influence of culture on the people as could observed in most states of the federation.
In Nigeria, most communities until recently did not encourage the education of women, and this is accounted for by the way parents view the education of their female children.
To them, any educated woman would end up being someone else’s wife, and therefore would be more useful to her husband than to her parents. Because of this, why waste the available resources of their education?
Even now, because of ignorance, it is still difficult to convince many parents to send their daughters to school. The situation is even made worse by the religious beliefs and expectation of women in some communities where a woman is expected to be married within a certain age bracket.
Primary education is now virtually free yet many parents are not responding to this opportunity to send their children to school, especially their daughters.
It is against the foregoing scenario that the researcher tries to find out if the foregoing obstacles to girls child education are also applicable in Ilawe local government Area of Ekiti State in a preliminary research carried out in oniwe comprehensive high school and Ilawe grammar school, it was observed that out of 100 students in J.S.S. III, 65 were boys while 55 were girls.
It is based on this information that the researcher assumes that the factors mentioned above may influence the attitudes of parents in Ilawe local government area towards sending their female children to school.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
A preliminary survey carried out by the researcher in Ilawe local government area of Ekiti State has revealed that there are more boys in secondary schools than girls, if the town is taken as a sample of the local government area. It would appear that this is the trend in the whole local government area. The problem of this project is therefore to find out the attitudes of parents in Ilawe local government area towards the education of their female children.
PURPOSE OF THE STUDY
The main purpose of this study is to find out the attitude of parents towards the education of their female children in Ilawe local Government Area of Ekiti state. Nigeria.
- It will afford the females the opportunities of participating in the social, economics and political activities of the nation. This ensures the opportunity provided for all citizens.
- It equally helps them in wide choice of career.
- They can go for science humanities on vocational courses
- To ensure that female role in education does not end in the kitchens.
- It helps to free female from the shackles of male dominating by having political freedom.
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This research is limited to the study of the attitude of parents towards the education of their female children education.
A case study of some selected primary and secondary schools within Ilawe local government area of Ekiti State. Five out of the twenty primary and secondary schools were randomly selected from the above named local government area for the research work.
The schools selected are:
- United high school Ilawe Ekiti
- Oniwe comprehensive high school Ilawe Ekiti
- Corpus Christi college Ilawe Ekiti
- Ilawe Grammar School Ilawe Ekiti
- Saint Raphael Primary school
SIGNIFICANT OF THE STUDY
The importance of female education is concerned necessary because it is thought to keep them out of ignorance and super. This will enable them to be literate. They will be able to provide balance diet for their children for normal growth. To be able to appreciate the important of hygiene and sanitation as an effective condition for sound health. To be self reliant and become an economic asset to their family.
In the national policy on education, education has been tailored at inculcating the national consciousness and national unity, the inculcating of the right types of values and attitudes for the survival of the individual and the Nigeria society.
Also the training of the mind in the understanding of the world around, and the acquisition of appropriate skills, abilities and competence both mental and physical as equipment for the individual to live in and contribute to the development of his society.
- Attitude of the parents, how favourable or otherwise do parents attitude effect female education to what extent do parents encourage their female children to be exposed to western education.
- How does early marriage factor effects female education.
- What effects do the cultural belief of the people have on woman education
- What other factors hinders or facilitate female education
- Are the female pupils above to cope with certain vocational education?
LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
In the process of carrying out this research work, the researcher encountered some constraints that tends to limit the extent of the work.
The first problem encountered by the researcher is illiteracy and attitude of people of the area towards oral interview.
Because of the illiteracy of the people intensives, they were unable to give genuine reasons why education of their girls is not important to them.
Another problem that hindered this study is the non – chanland attitude of some people towards the questionnaires issued them.
DEFINITION OF OPERATIONAL TERMS AND ABBREVIATION EDUCATION: Systematic training and instruction e.g. of the young in school colleges etc.
ATTITUDE: Individual manner or way of doing certain things in other words the person personality.
SCHOOL: Institution for educating children
L.G.A: Local Government Area
COMPETENCE: Ability to hold position
PARENTS: An organization owing and controlling subsidiary ones.
HOW TO ORDER FOR COMPLETE PROJECT MATERIAL
» Bank Branch Deposits, ATM/online transfers (Amount: ₦3,000 NGN)
|Bank: FIRST BANK Account Name: OMOOGUN TAIYE Account Number: 3116913871 Account Type: SAVINGS Amount: ₦3,000 AFTER PAYMENT, TEXT YOUR TOPIC AND VALID EMAIL ADDRESS TO 07064961036 OR 08068355992 OR Click Here|
|Bank: ACCESS BANK Account Name: OMOOGUN TAIYE Account Number: 0766765735 Account Type: SAVINGS Amount: ₦3,000 AFTER PAYMENT, TEXT YOUR TOPIC AND VALID EMAIL ADDRESS TO 07064961036 OR 08068355992 Click Here|
|Bank: HERITAGE BANK Account Name: OMOOGUN TAIYE Account Number: 1909068248 Account Type: SAVINGS Amount: ₦3,000 AFTER PAYMENT, TEXT YOUR TOPIC AND VALID EMAIL ADDRESS TO 07064961036 OR 08068355992 Click Here|