A SURVEY OF THE PROBLEMS MILITATING AGAINST LEARNING ACTIVITIES AMONG PUPILS IN SOME SELECTED SECONDARY SCHOOL IN IRELE
This study is a survey of the problems militating against learning activities among pupils on some selected secondary schools in Irele local government area of Ondo state, Nigeria.
The study discusses the introduction to the study by looking at the background to the problem stating the problems and formulating the research questions. Past works and literature on the topic were reviewed. Chapter three discusses the research design and methodology while chapter four of the survey discusses data analysis. Chapter five is all about the summary of findings, conclusion and recommendations.
TABLE OF CONTENT
Title page i
Table of content vi-viii
- Background to the study 1-2
- Statement of the problem 2-3
- The objectives of the study 3-4
- Research Questions 4-5
- Significance of the study 5-6
- Scope and Limitation 6-7
- Definition of terms 7-8
Literature Review 9
- The Concept of Learning 9-11
- Factors Affecting Learning 11-13
- Stages in Learning 14
- Helping the child to obtain optimum learning 15-20
- Summary of Review of Literature 21-22
3.1. Research Design and Methodology 23
3.2. Research Design 23-24
3.3. Population and Samples 25-26
3.4. Sampling Procedure 26
3.5. Instrumentation 26-27
3.6. Techniques of Data Analysis 27
Presentation of Data Analysis and Discussion 28
Restarting Study Objective 28
Data Analysis 28-31
Research Question 32-38
Summary, Findings, Conclusion and Recommendation 39
Summary of Findings 39-41
Appendix I 46-47
- Background to the Study
Irele local government area of Ondo state is situated in the southern part of Ondo state. It lies within longitude 40 30 and 60 of Greenwich meridian and latitude 30 480 and 80 is north of the equator. The local government area occupies a land mass of more than 200 square kilometer with a population of more than 230,000 people.
The local government area shares common boundaries with Odigbo local government area to the North, Okitipupa local government area to the west, Ese-Odo local government area to the south and Edo state of Nigeria to the East.
The topography of the area is composed of lowland, numerous rivers and streams granite in several place. The inhabitants of this local government area comprises of the Yoruba majority and other minority tribes such as Urhobo, Ijaw, Igbo, Efik and other numerous ethnic groups.
Irele local government has more than 30 secondary schools. Pupils enrolment in both pupil and private secondary school level is more than 200 teachers.
The researcher is prompted to embark on the survey of the problems militating against learning activities among pupils in some selected secondary schools in this local government area considering the low level performances of pupils in both internal and external examinations despite the huge inputs by governments, parents and teachers.
The researcher also observes that most of that most of the pupils are unable to transfer their knowledge and skills. Most of the pupils usually fail to think back what they have been taught in their previous lessons. The language skills of the pupils in the first and second language remain at a dismal level. The mental capability of the pupils is highly discouraged. These give the researcher much food for thought and the desire to find the root cause of the problem.
- Statement of the problem
The essence of this study is to secure the root of the problems which have militated against learning activities in some selected secondary schools in Irele local government area. The following problems have been identified is some children in the secondary school.
- Low level performance of student in internal and external examination few people pass both WAEC and NECO.
- The understanding of the pupils is at the low level of the cognitive domain.
- Most of the pupils could hardly transfer and apply their knowledge.
- The language skill of the pupils remains at a dismally low level.
- The writing and reading skills of the pupils is at a very low level
- There is a general apathy of pupils to study and hardwork.
- The Objectives of the Study
Major purpose of this study is to identify the problems militating against learning activities among secondary schools in Irele local government area of Ondo state.
The study is also set to identify the reasons for the problems. Secondly, the study is also set to help teachers deal with emerging problem of day to day learning activities of the pupils.
The study is also meant to help researchers to make further investigation into the above subject so that learning activities can improve among our pupils.
- Research Questions
In carrying out this research, certain assumptions were made and these formed the background f the research questions.
It is assumed that the pupils are generally poor in their learning activities. It is also assumed that pupils show apathy to their studies and they are generally lazy.
It is also assumed that teachers are not enough and basic infrastructures are inadequate. It is assumed that parents showed little interest in their children’s education. It is also assumed that teachers have low capacity in the discharge of their duties.
The assumptions therefore, lead to the research questions:
- Are the pupils generally poor in their learning activities?
- Do the pupils show apathy to their studies?
- Are the pupils generally lazy?
- Are there enough teachers to teacher the pupils in the various school?
- Are there enough basic infrastructure in the schools?
- Do the parents show interest in their children’s education?
- Are the children mature and ready for school?
- Is the morale of the teachers high in the discharge of their duties?
- Significance of the Study
The study is expected to contribute to the improvement of learning activities among secondary schools students in the local government area.
The study would help identify the problems facing pupils in their studies, examine the root cause of these problems and proffer solutions to them.
The study would also help the teachers to improve the pupils memory, language skills relationship, comprehension, reasoning and ingenuity.
- Scope and Limitation
This study covers all the 20 secondary schools in Irele local government area. These schools are selected across the length and breadth of the local government area. The area has two zones which shall be referred to, for the purpose of this study, as Irele Zone 1 and Irele Zone 2.
Irele zone 1 consists of Irele, Gbeleju Loda, Omi and environs. Irele zone 2 consists of Ajagba, Akotogbo, Iyansan, Ijosun Barogbo and environs. Irele zone 1 has more than 20 secondary schools. As a result of the large number of secondary schools in the area under study, few schools will be selected from both zones and findings will be assumed to cover all the schools in the area under study.
There are various problems which may hinder the adequate coverage of all secondary educational institutions in the local government area. One of these problems is the large number educational institutions under study. The schools are also far and wide across the local government area. Most of their locations have difficult and marshy terrains which render their accessibility very difficult. Inadequate fund may also hamper adequate coverage of the secondary schools in the area.
- Definition of terms
There are certain terms which readers may come across in the course of reading this paper. Some of the terms are explained below:
- Cognitive Domain: this is the brain area concerned with intellectual activities, reasoning, mental and thinking processes.
- Affective Domain: Affective domain deals with student’s character, interest, attitude, emotion and sentiments.
- Psychomotor Domain: This involves motor skills or manipulative skills of parts of the human body.
- Aptitude: This refers to the potentials of the pupils to successfully learn various tasks or skills.
- Intelligence: Intelligence refers to mental skill or ability of the students to learn or comprehend.
- Readiness: This refers to the readiness of the child to learn as a result of maturation and accumulation of experience.
- Conditioning: This is a process where the child learns by associating one thing with another.
- Trial and error: This is a process where the child learners and eliminating activities that are unsuccessful and building on successful ones.
- Insight: This is a kind of learning in which the child discovers facts by putting two and two together.
- Imitation: This is a way of learning through copying and imitation
- Memorization: This is a way of learning by committing facts to memory.
HOW TO ORDER FOR COMPLETE PROJECT MATERIAL
» Bank Branch Deposits, ATM/online transfers (Amount: ₦3,000 NGN)
|Bank: FIRST BANK Account Name: OMOOGUN TAIYE Account Number: 3116913871 Account Type: SAVINGS Amount: ₦3,000 AFTER PAYMENT, TEXT YOUR TOPIC AND VALID EMAIL ADDRESS TO 07064961036 OR 08068355992 OR Click Here|
|Bank: ACCESS BANK Account Name: OMOOGUN TAIYE Account Number: 0766765735 Account Type: SAVINGS Amount: ₦3,000 AFTER PAYMENT, TEXT YOUR TOPIC AND VALID EMAIL ADDRESS TO 07064961036 OR 08068355992 Click Here|
|Bank: HERITAGE BANK Account Name: OMOOGUN TAIYE Account Number: 1909068248 Account Type: SAVINGS Amount: ₦3,000 AFTER PAYMENT, TEXT YOUR TOPIC AND VALID EMAIL ADDRESS TO 07064961036 OR 08068355992 Click Here|